Rice – 2 cups
Oil – 1 tsp
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Drumstick – 1, cut into 2.5 to 3 inch pieces
Red Chilli Powder – 1 to 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Mango – 1 cup, grated
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
1. Wash rice thoroughly and drain completely.
2. Place the rice in a bowl and add water.
3. Stir to wash.
4. Retain 1 1/2 cups of the water in another bowl and discard the rest.
5. Repeat and retain 2 cups of the water.
6. Mix both the waters and set aside for 45 minutes.
7. Remove and discard the watery upper portion, retaining about 3 cups of rice water.
8. Heat oil in a pan.
9. Add the onions and fry for 3 minutes till golden.
10. Add drumstick, chilli powder and turmeric powder.
11. Add 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, till drumstick is almost tender.
12. Add the reserved rice water, salt and mango.
13. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves.
15. Serve hot with plain rice.
Kadugu Saaru (Rice Water Rasam) Recipe
You might also like:
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Kadugu Saaru (Rice Water Rasam) from Awesome Cuisine.