Rice – 2 cups
Oil – 1 tsp
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Drumstick – 1, cut into 2.5 to 3 inch pieces
Red Chilli Powder – 1 to 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Mango – 1 cup, grated
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
1. Wash rice thoroughly and drain completely.
2. Place the rice in a bowl and add water.
3. Stir to wash.
4. Retain 1 1/2 cups of the water in another bowl and discard the rest.
5. Repeat and retain 2 cups of the water.
6. Mix both the waters and set aside for 45 minutes.
7. Remove and discard the watery upper portion, retaining about 3 cups of rice water.
8. Heat oil in a pan.
9. Add the onions and fry for 3 minutes till golden.
10. Add drumstick, chilli powder and turmeric powder.
11. Add 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, till drumstick is almost tender.
12. Add the reserved rice water, salt and mango.
13. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves.
15. Serve hot with plain rice.
Kadugu Saaru (Rice Water Rasam) Recipe
Recommended for you
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Kadugu Saaru (Rice Water Rasam) from Awesome Cuisine.