A quick, delicious and tasty lunch box or dinner dish. Serve with raita or papads.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups, soaked for 30 minutes in 4 cups of water, drained
Tomatoes – 300 gms
Coconut – 1/2, ground and extract thick milk
Onion – 1, big
Ghee – 3 tblsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Green Chillies – 5
Garlic – 5 cloves
Cashew Nuts – 10, fried
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Cloves – 3
Cardamoms – 2
Bay Leaf – 1
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – handful
1. Heat a pan of water over medium flame and bring to a boil.
2. Add the tomatoes and keep aside for a few minutes.
3. Peel the skins and grind the flesh to a puree.
4. Combine the tomato puree and coconut milk. Add enough water to make it 4 cups.
5. Grind together the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and some coriander leaves.
6. Add this to the rice.
7. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add the rice mixture.
8. Saute for a minute and add the tomato paste.
9. Add 1 or 2 cups of water if desired. The water in the rice and tomato paste should be sufficient. If not, add some water.
10. Pressure cook until 2 whistles.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves and fried cashewnuts.