Pomfret – 1, about 750 gms
Coconut – 1/2 piece
Garlic – 5 flakes
Fresh ginger – 1 inch
Green chillies – 4
Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
Tomatoes – 4, large sized
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
Red chillies – 4
Green coriander – 3 tbsp, chopped
Hot water – 3 cups
Salt as per taste
1. Slice the pomfret into thick pieces, smear with salt and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Finely chop the onions.
3. Break the red chillies into pieces and deseed
4. Blanch the tomatoes in hot water, then cool in cold water, peel and chop into pieces.
5. Grind the chopped coconut, chilli, ginger and peeled garlic to make a smooth paste and pour 3 cups of hot water into it and set aside.
6. Fry the chopped onions in hot oil till golden brown, add the fish slices into it and further fry for few minutes until the fishes turn brown. Remove from the skillet and keep aside.
7. Now add the chopped and peeled tomatoes, cumin, turmeric, red chilli powder and salt to the same pan.
8. When the tomatoes dissolve, add the coconut paste and water and cook for ten minutes.
9. Add the fish slices and cook for another 5 minutes.
10. Finally add coriander and stir well.