Indulge in the unique flavours of Wheat Parotta. This South Indian delicacy beautifully marries the essence of wheat flour, grated coconut’s richness, and powdered jaggery’s sweetness. This dish holds a special place in the hearts of those seeking a healthier twist to the classic parotta. The wheat flour lends a wholesome touch, making it a choice that’s both tasty and nutritious.
The dough is prepared by blending wheat flour with milk, a hint of ghee, and a pinch of salt. This dough is kneaded perfectly, setting the stage for the upcoming flavour symphony. The magic begins when this dough is shaped into small, lemon-sized balls and flattened into small circles. The heart of this dish lies in the filling – a combination of grated coconut, sautéed carrots, jaggery, and a dash of cardamom powder. This delightful mixture is rolled within the dough, ensuring it’s encased securely.
The filled dough is then rolled out into medium-sized parottas, ensuring the luscious filling is trapped within, ready to burst with flavour. Cooked on a heated tawa with a drizzle of ghee, the parottas turn a glorious golden brown, exuding an aroma that’s simply irresistible. Serve these hot and crisp Wheat Parottas with sides, spicy curry or a cooling raita.
- 1 1/2 cups Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut (grated)
- 1/2 cup Jaggery (powdered)
- 1/4 cup Carrot (grated)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Ghee (as required)
- Salt (a pinch)
- Mix wheat flour, milk, a little ghee, and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Knead well to form a dough.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a nonstick pan and sauté the carrots for a minute.
- Add coconut and stir-fry for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add jaggery and cardamom powder. Stir well until the mixture no longer sticks to the pan's sides.
- Remove and allow it to cool. Make small balls from this mixture.
- Take lemon-sized balls of the dough and roll them out into small circles.
- Place a carrot-coconut ball in the center, fold the dough, and roll it into a medium-sized parotta.
- Heat a tawa over medium flame and cook the prepared parottas, adding a little ghee around the edges, until golden brown.
- Remove and serve hot with a side dish of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How can I enhance the flavour of Wheat Parotta?
Try pairing Wheat Parotta with a spicy Chicken Korma or a tangy Onion-Tomato Chutney for an explosion of complementary flavours.
Can I make a vegan version of Wheat Parotta?
Absolutely! Substitute milk and ghee with plant-based alternatives like almond milk and vegan butter for a delicious vegan version of Wheat Parotta.
Can I prepare the dough in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the dough a few hours before and refrigerate it. Just ensure it’s brought to room temperature before rolling and cooking.