Kashmiri Mutton Yakhni is a lip-smacking yoghurt based dish made with paneer or with mutton cooked in a variety of spices and curd. Typically made during a festive celebration, the dish is very easy to prepare and can be made for lunch or dinner. Serve with plain rice, jeera rice or a simple pulao.
Kashmiri Mutton Yakhni
Ingredients for Kashmiri Mutton Yakhni
- 500 gms Mutton chopped
- 400 gms Curd
- 4 Cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 to 2 tblsp Aniseed Powder
- 2 tblsp Mint Leaves
- Salt as per taste
How to make Kashmiri Mutton Yakhni
- Pressure cook the mutton with 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch fo salt for 20 to 30 minutes or until 3/4ths cooked.
- Reserve the water and keep the mutton pieces aside.
- Heat curd in a pan and stir continously to prevent it from splitting.
- Add the cardamoms, cloves, cinnamons and stir for another 10 minutes
- Add the ginger powder and stir a minute or two more.
- Add the aniseed powder and add the mutton pieces with the water.
- Gently mix well.
- Add the mint leaves and reduce flame to low.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours.
- Serve hot with jeera rice or a simple pulao.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !