One of the easiest dessert to make, this Aval Payasam (also known as Poha Kheer) is made with rice flakes, milk, sugar and cardamom powder. Commonly made during festivals or special occasions, they make a delicious end to any meal.
Aval (Poha) – 125 gms
Milk – 375 ml
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Cashew Nuts – few
Raisins – few
Ghee – 2 to 3 tsp
Cardamom Powder – little
1. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the aval until light golden and remove.
3. Boil the milk in a pan.
4. Reduce flame to low and simmer.
5. Add the fried aval and stir well.
6. Add sugar and stir well until fully dissolved.
7. Switch off the flame and add cardamom powder.
8. Stir again.
9. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the remaining ghee.
10. Add to the payasam.
11. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Note: If the payasam has become thick, then add a little milk and warm it up before serving.