Aval Payasam is one of the easiest desserts to make for any occasion. Also known as Poha Kheer, it is made with flattened rice flakes, milk, cardamom powder and sugar.
A popular dish down South, it is served as a delicious dessert to any meal during festivals and weddings.
Garnish with cashew nuts and serve it warm or cold.
If you are bored with the regular paal payasam, try this variation. It is equally tasty.
Aval Payasam (Poha Kheer) Recipe
Ingredients for Aval Payasam (Poha Kheer)
- 125 g Aval (Poha)
- 375 ml Milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- few Cashew Nuts
- few Raisins
- 2 to 3 tsp Ghee
- little Cardamom Powder
How to make Aval Payasam (Poha Kheer)
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the aval until light golden and remove.
- Boil the milk in a pan.
- Reduce flame to low and simmer.
- Add the fried aval and stir well.
- Add sugar and stir well until fully dissolved.
- Switch off the flame and add cardamom powder.
- Stir again.
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the remaining ghee.
- Add to the payasam.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.