A delicious, simple to make, fragrant and exotic rice packed with the goodness of pomegrate seeds.
Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup, washed and drained
Carrot – 1, cut into 1 inch sticks
Vegetable Stock (or Plain Water) – 1 cup
Butter – 2 tsp
Onion – 1, small, finely chopped
Cinnamon Stick – 1/2 inch
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Saffron Strands – few
Raisins – 2 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
Pomegranate Seeds – 1/3 cup
Almonds – 2 tblsp
Coriander Leaves – handful
1. Heat butter in a pressure pan over low-medium flame.
2. Saute the onions for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden.
3. Add the cinnamon stick, turmeric powder and saffron strands.
4. Cook for another 15 to 20 seconds.
5. Add the basmati rice, carrots and cook for a minute.
6. Pour the vegetable stock.
7. Add the raisins, salt and pepper powder.
8. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the rice is done.
9. Chop and toast the almonds. Keep aside.
10. Once the pressure has reduced, remove the lid.
11. Discard the cinnamon stick.
12. Using a fork, gently fluff the rice.
13. Add the toasted almonds and pomegranate seeds.
14. Mix gently.
15. Garnish with coriander leaves.
16. Serve at once.