Adhirasam is a popular South Indian sweet, especially in Tamil Nadu. Made using jaggery and rice, this is typically made during Diwali or during any special occasion.
Rice – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup, powdered
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil as required
1. Soak the rice for 30 minutes and drain well. Keep aside to dry completely.
2. Grind to a smooth powder and keep aside.
3. Heat a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Add little water and powdered jaggery.
5. Simmer till the jaggery has melted and strain.
6. Transfer the strained liquid back to the pan and bring to a boil.
7. When it reaches a soft ball stage, add the rice flour and mix.
8. Add the cardamom powder and stir to combine.
9. Ensure there are no lumps in the mixture.
10. Make a ball of this mixture and flatten it on a plastic sheet or greased banana leaf.
11. Heat oil in a frying pan.
12. Fry the prepared adhirasams on both sides till golden brown.
13. Remove and drain excess oil.