You might have tasted the Kadai Paneer in a hotel or restaurant but have you ever thought of making it at your home? If no, then you are certainly missing out on an awesome recipe which is good enough to find a permanent place in your recipe book.
Kadai Paneer is a dish that finds its origin in the North Indian cuisines and is actually a side dish made from vegetables, paneer pieces, and spices. Capsicum, tomatoes, and onion are the usually added veggies but you can experiment with some of your own favorite vegetables to explore a perfect combination.
It can be eaten with roti or naan but you can also have it with jeera rice or pulav if you like it that much. Fresh spices, red, and chopped coriander give a unique flavor and mesmerizing aroma to this special delicacy. It is speculated that this dish was first prepared in the royal kitchens of brave Rajput kings but soon it became popular throughout the Indian subcontinent owing to its peculiar taste and tempting aroma.
Homemade Kadai Paneer is anytime better than the ones you find at expensive hotels as it is fresh, healthy and you can control the spiciness as per your taste preferences. Many times it is also better than than Dhaba Kadai Paneer that you so often find in highways and motels. Do not forget to dry roast the spices before using them in whole or powdered form because roasted spices give it a smoky effervesce without which it is hard to imagine this recipe.
Also, powdered fresh spices offer a better taste and texture to this recipe than using the crushed whole ones. You can either add red chilies or red chili powder but do not add both as it would make it too hot to digest. You can serve it with roti, naan or tandoor roti along with onion rings and lemon slices.
Enjoy this toothsome dish with your kids and family and get the numerous health benefits of paneer as a bonus!
Kadai Paneer Recipe
Ingredients for Kadai Paneer
- 250 g Paneer chopped into squares or cubes
- 2 nos Capsicum chopped
- 2 nos Tomatoes chopped
- 2 nos Onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp Saunf
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Oil
- as per taste Salt
For the masala powder:
- 5 nos Dry Red Chillies
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 nos Cloves
- 2 nos Cardamom
- 2 nos Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
How to make Kadai Paneer
- Dry roast the masala powder ingredients and grind to a coarse powder.
- Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
- Saute half of the onions, capsicums and paneer separately.
- Add a little oil to the same pan.
- Add saunf and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining onions and saute well.
- Add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, tomatoes and ground masala powder.
- Add a little water and stir well.
- Add the paneer, onions and capsicum.
- Keep stirring till the oil starts to separate.
- Remove and transfer to a serving dish.
image via youtube
i like vegeterian & non veg reciepes
Tooo goood… thanks a lot!
Tried it today! was really really yum ExcellanT
This is excellent
ok otday is my moms bday and i think i will try it out…it better b good….lol….i am a new cook any way!!!!