Bengal gram dhal – 1 cup
Onions – 2 (cut finely)
Grind together :
Onion – 1
Ginger – 1 ” piece
Garlic – 4 flakes
Red chilles – 5
Green chilles – 5
Ani seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cardamoms – 3
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1 ” piece
Roased bengal gram dhal – 1 tbsp
Dhania – 2 tbsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
For making Vadai :
1. Saok dhal for 2 hours.
2. Drain the water. Grind it coarsely with enough salt. Mix finely cut onions.
3. Heat oil in a pan, prepare small balls from the gound paste and deep fry. Keep aside. (Do not fry till deep brown. remove when it turns golden).
1. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry garlic and then onions.
2. When it turns into gloden brown in colour, add the ground mixture, fry till oil separates.
3. Mix tomato paste and fry well. Pour 3 cups of water with turmeric powder, sugar and salt.
4. When it starts boiling add the fried badas in it and let it boil for a few minutes. (if the water is not enough add little more, otherwise the koftas will absorb the water and the gravy will become very thick).
5. Remove from fire and garnish with cut coriander leaves. Serve with appam doasai or idlis.