Water – 12 cups
Rice – 250 gms
Radish – 1, peeled, sliced thinly
Carrots – 2, peeled, thinly sliced
Cabbage – 375 gms, thinly sliced
Garlic Cloves – 3, thinly sliced
Ginger – 1 tbsp, fresh, peeled, thinly sliced
Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
Salt – 2 tbsp
Shallots – 1, peeled
Red Chilies – 2, large, fresh
1. In a large pan, bring the water to a boil.
2. Add the rice and boil for 15 minutes.
3. Strain the water off the rice into a bowl.
4. Keep aside and let it cool.
5. Discard the rice.
6. Layer the vegetables in a big jar, with garlic, black peppercorns and salt between each layer.
7. Top with salt.
8. Bury the shallots and red chillies in the middle.
9. Add the cooled rice water just enough to cover the top layer.
10. Cover with a muslin cloth and keep aside for 4 days in a cool place.
11. If the level of the liquid drops then add some more cold water.
12. After 4 days the pickle will be ready for consumption.
13. The pickle will stay for several weeks if stored in an airtight jar and refrigerated.