- Roasted Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Green Gram Dal – 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Ghee – 2 tblsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 10
For Masala Powder:
- Red Chillies – 2
- Coriander Seeds (Dhania) – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 small piece
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper – 8
- Fry the masala powder ingredients using 1/2 tsp of ghee and grind it to a powder.
- Cook the green gram dal using 1 cup of water until dal splits.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, coriander, cumin seeds and pepper.
- Fry well and powder it in a mixie.
- Pour 2 cups of hot water on top of the cooked dal.
- Add salt, asafoetida, turmeric powder, fried vermicelli, masala powder and 2 tsp of ghee.
- Close the lid and allow to cook until vermicelli turns soft.
- Mix well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat the remaining ghee and fry the cashewnuts till golden brown.
- Pour it on top of the pongal.
- Serve hot.