For the Marinade:
Yoghurt – 1 cup, drained
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Ginger Paste – 5 tsp
Garam Masala – 2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
Refined Oil – 1/4 cup
Saffron – a few strands
For the Covering Dough:
Refined Flour (maida) – 1 1/2 cups
Salt to Taste
Milk -1/2 cup
Vetiver Essence – 2 drops
Butter – 2 1/2 tbsp, melted
Cream – 6 tbsp
Egg – 2, yolks only
1. Make incisions on breasts, thighs and legs of chicken.
2. Mix salt, red chilli paste, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice together, and rub into the chicken.
3. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
4. For the marinade, whisk yoghurt in a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.
5. Coat chicken with the marinade and refrigerate for 5 to 6 hours.
6. Preheat the oven or tandoor to 180C/350F.
7. Roast the chicken for 15 minutes or until almost done. Keep aside.
8. Grease two casserole dishes, one for each chicken.
9. Sieve the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
10. Dissolve sugar in warm milk; add the vetiver and stir.
11. Pour this into the flour mixture and knead into dough.
12. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
13. Add butter to the dough, knead again and keep aside for 10 minutes.
14. Divide dough into two equal portions, shape into balls and dust with flour.
15. Keep aside for another 5 minutes.
16. Roll out the balls into discs, the size of each casserole dish.
17. Prick the surface of the disc with a fork.
18. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F.
19. Cut each chicken into 4 pieces and arrange them in the casserole.
20. Drizzle the cream on the chicken and cover the dish with the rolled out disc to make a covering.
21. Press the edges to seal and brush the top with beaten egg yolk.
22. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the covering is golden brown.
23. Cut open the covering.
24. Serve the chicken with one portion of covering.