Chickpeas – 1 cup (dried or canned. If dried chickpeas are used, wash and soak them in warm water overnight)
Onions – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2, chopped
Salt – 1 tsp
Brussels Sprouts – 2 cups, coarsely shredded
Fresh Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Oil – 2 tblsp
Dried Red Chilli – 1
Black Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
1. Drain the chickpeas, rinse and put them in a pan with 3 cups of water.
2. Bring the water to a boil.
3. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes till chickpeas are tender.
4. Drain and set aside.
5. If canned peas are used just drain and rinse. Set aside.
6. Put the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
7. When the oil is hot add the dried red chilli, black mustard seeds and urad dal for about 30 seconds.
8. Add onions to the pan and saute for 30 seconds.
9. Mix in the chickpeas, green chillies and salt.
10. Cook covered over medium heat for 2 minutes.
11. Add the brussels sprouts and stir-fry with 1 tblsp of water for a minute.
12. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes till brussels sprouts are tender.
13. Blend in the coconut and cook for a minute.
14. Remove from heat and serve.