Potatoes – 500 gms, small, round, boiled, peeled
For the Filling:
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Onions – 5 1/2 tbsp, grated
Ginger Paste – 2 tbsp
Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
Potatoes – 200 gm, boiled, grated
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
For the Gravy:
Vegetable Oil – 3 1/2 tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon – 2 one inch sticks
Cloves – 6
Green Cardamoms – 6
Black Cumin Seeds – 2/3 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Red Chilli Powder – a pinch
Yoghurt – 3/4 cup, whisked
Garam Masala – a pinch
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice – a few drops
Ginger – 1 one inch piece, julienned
1. For the filling, heat the ghee in a pan.
2. Add half of the onion, ginger and garlic pastes and fry for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala.
4. Season with lemon juice and salt.
5. Keep aside.
6. Scoop out the inside portion of the potatoes and deep fry the shells till slightly crisp.
7. Keep aside to cool, when cool enough to handle, fill each potato shell with the potato mixture.
8. Cover and keep aside.
9. For the gravy, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
10. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamoms, black cumin seeds and fry until they crackle.
11. Mix in the remaining onion, ginger and garlic pastes, stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
12. Add the turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
13. Stir fry over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
14. Stir in the yoghurt.
15. Cook till the mixture is dry, stirring regularly.
16. Sprinkle garam masala and season with salt.
17. Arrange the stuffed potatoes in the pan with the gravy.
18. Sprinkle some lemon juice and cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes on very low heat.
19. Garnish with ginger.
20. Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !