Lotus Stems – 500 gms
Refined Flour – 1/2 cup
Bicarbonate of Soda – a pinch
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water – 1/2 cup
Red Colour – 3 to 4 drops
Vegetable Oil for frying
1. Scrape the lotus stems and cut off the ends.
2. Wash thoroughly under running water, ensuring that no mud remains in the stems.
3. Cut the stems into 3 inch pieces and then slice each piece into 4 to 6 fingers.
4. Wash well again.
5. In a big bowl, mix the refined flour, bicarbonate of soda, red chilli powder, salt and enough water to make a batter of dropping consistency.
6. Add the red colour.
7. Heat the oil in a deep pan.
8. Dip each lotus stem piece into the batter and then deep fry until golden.
9. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen towels.
10. Serve hot.