Stale Tortillas – 12, cut into strips
Vegetable Oil – 1 tblsp
Cooked Chicken – 1 small, meat removed from the bones and cut into bite-size pieces
Fresh Coriander – 3 tblsp, chopped
Fresh Oregano or Thyme – 1 tsp, finely chopped
Garlic Cloves – 4, finely chopped
Ground Cumin – 1/4 tsp
Cheddar Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese – 350 gms
Chicken Stock – 500 ml
Parmesan Cheese – 115 gms, freshly grated
Soured Cream – 350 ml
Spring Onions – 3 to 5, thinly sliced
1. Place the tortilla strips in a roasting pan, toss with the oil and bake in a preheated oven at 190C/375F for 30 minutes or until they are crisp and golden.
2. Arrange the chicken in a flameproof casserole (22x33cm / 9×13 inch).
3. Sprinkle with half the salsa, coriander, oregano, garlic and cumin and some of the cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
4. Repeat these layers and top with the tortilla strips.
5. Pour the stack over the top.
6. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
7. Bake in the oven at the same temperature for 30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is lightly golden in areas.
8. Serve with a spoonful of soured cream, sliced spring onions and pickled chillies to taste.