Sardines – 1/2 kg
For the Masala:
Red Chillies – 10
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/8 tsp
Peppercorns – 8
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Button Onions – 1/2 cup, sliced
Ginger – 1/2 tblsp, julienned
Garlic Cloves – 2 tblsp, crushed/sliced/chopped
Curry Leaves – few
Coconut Oil – 1/2 cup or any refined vegetable oil
Cocum – 3 pieces, washed, soaked and shredded in water
Salt to taste
Water – 1/2 cup
1. Clean the sardines in salted water.
2. Make a slit on the side and remove the inside portion of each dish.
3. Make gashes on both sides of the fish.
4. Coarsely grind red chillies, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, turmeric powder, button onions, ginger, garlic and curry leaves. Keep aside.
5. Mix the ground ingredients with coconut oil, shredded cocum and salt.
6. Grease an earthenware vessel with coconut oil and layer the fish and the mixed masala alternately. Finish wih a layer of masala on top.
7. Add water to cook the fish and bring to boil.
8. Simmer over low heat till dry.
9. Serve hot.