Arvi (Colocasia) Leaves – 6
Gram Flour – 1 cup
Onion – 1, small, minced
Tamarind Juice – 2 tblsp, thick
Jaggery – 1 small piece
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – a pinch
Salt to taste
Grind to Paste:
Green Chillies – 3
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Garlic – 3 cloves (optional)
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp, chopped
Coconut – 1 tblsp, grated
For frying Vadis
Oil – 1 cup
Amchoor – a pinch
Sugar – a pinch
1. Wash each leaf thoroughly, spread on a cloth to dry and keep aside.
2. Mix together in a bowl the ground paste with gram flour, onion, tamarind juice, jaggery, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to form a thick batter.
3. Heat a little oil, pour over batter and mix.
4. Spread a leaf on a plank, upside down.
5. Apply butter all over the surface 1/2 inch away from the edge.
6. Carefully roll the leaf tightly pulling in the sides.
7. Prepare all leaves like this.
8. Place them side by side, steam the rolls in a pressure cooker without putting on the weight, for about 5 to 7 minute or till they turn soft.
9. Remove, cool, cut into 1 inch thick slices (vadis).
10. Heat little oil, preferably in a non-stick pan, fry 4 to 5 vadis at a time till they turn golden brown and crisp.
11. Sprinkle amchoor and sugar on vadis.
12. Serve as a snack.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !