Red Gram Dal (Toor Dal) – 1/4 cup
Ginger – 1 inch piece, scraped and shredded
Green Chillies – 4
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Black Peppercorns – 3/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes – 2, quartered
Juice of 1 Lemon
Coriander Leaves – small bunch, chopped fine for garnishing
Ghee – 2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1 halved
Curry Leaves – few
1. Pressure cook the dal and set aside.
2. Grind together the ginger and green chillies. Set aside.
3. Powder the cumin seeds and peppercorns. Set aside.
4. Add to the cooked dal 1 1/2 cups water, salt, turmeric powder, ginger-chilli paste and quartered tomatoes and bring to a boil on low heat.
5. Heat the ghee and add all the ingredients for the tempering. Sprinkle in the pepper-cumin seed powder. When the mustard seeds splutter, add to the rasam. Turn off the heat.
6. Mix in the lemon juice.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
8. Serve hot with rice.