Onions – 3, large
Tomatoes – 1/4 kg
Garlic – 6 flakes, peeled
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Salt – as required
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Grind to paste:
Fresh Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Green Chillies – 10
Poppy Seeds – 1 tblsp
Cinnamon – few
Cloves – few
Bengal Gram Dal – 1/2 cup
Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
Red Chillies – 6
Aniseed – 1/4 tsp
Small Onions – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp, cut
1. Soak toor dal and bengal gram dal together in water for 1 hour.
2. Strain water and grind to coarse paste.
3. Powder red chillies and aniseed and add to the ground paste at the end, along with salt and blend well.
4. Add chopped onions, coriander leaves and mix well.
5. Pour this on a greased big idli plate and steam cook in pressure cooker for 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Allow it to cool and cut into medium sized squares.
1. Slice onions lengthwise and chop tomatoes into very fine pieces.
2. Heat oil in a kadai, add garlic, onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes.
4. Stir till it turns pulpy.
5. Mix ground paste, turmeric powder and salt.
6. Fry the paste for few minutes till pleasant aroma comes.
7. Pour 3 cups of water and boil for few minutes.
8. Cut steamed vada into pieces and add to the gravy.
9. Boil for a minute and remove from fire.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.