Chana dal – 1/2 cup
Suran or Yam – 1 1/2 cups, finely chopped
Onion – 1/2 cup, sliced
Ginger – 1 1/2 tsp, grated
Garlic – 2 cloves, chopped
Green chillies – 2, chopped
Mint or pudina – 1/4 cup, chopped
Chaat masala – 1 tbsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Oil for cooking – 3 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Oil for grilling
Water as required
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the chana dal and saute it till it is light pink in colour.
2. Cool and grind the chana dal to a powder. Keep aside.
3. In another pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and saute the onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies till the onions turn translucent.
4. Add the suran and cook over a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover and cook till the suran is soft and all the moisture has evaporated.
5. Cool and grind to a paste along with the mint without using any water.
6. Combine the chana dal powder, suran mixture, chaat masala, garam masala and salt and mix well.
7. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape them into kebabs on metal skewers.
8. Brush each kebab with a little oil.
9. Grill over a charcoal or electric barbeque till they are lightly browned on all sides.
10. Serve hot with green chutney and onion rings.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !