An authentic recipe from Hyderabad, this is a popular and easy to make dish from the royal kitchen of Mughali cuisine. Fresh water fish cooked in pickling spices and served with roti or naan.
Any Fresh Water Fish – 500 gms, deboned and cut into 2 inch pieces
Onion – 1, cut into slices, deep fried and ground into paste
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Kalonji – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1/2 cup
Lemon Juice – 1/4 cup
Salt as per taste
1. Heat 3 tblsp of oil in a non-stick pan.
2. Saute the fish pieces and keep aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to a separate pan. Add the jeera, mustard seeds and kalonji.
4. When they crackle, add onion paste, chilli powder and salt, stirring continuously till the oil floats.
5. Lower the heat, add the fish pieces and stir slowly, without breaking te pieces.
6. Cook till the fish is done.
7. Add lemon juice and stir.
8. Serve hot with rice or rotis.