One of the most popular South Indian seafood dishes, the Eral Varuval is typically served as an appetizer snack.
Eral (Prawns) – 250 gms
Shallots (Sambar Onions) – 7 to 8
Tomato – 1, small
Curry Leaves – few
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tblsp
Groundnut Oil – 2 tblsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Saunf Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Clean and wash the eral pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Saute the urad dal, onions and curry leaves for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, saunf powder and salt.
5. Mix well and simmer until oil starts to separate.
6. Add the eral pieces and sprinkle a little water.
7. Cook for a few minutes or until the prawns are cooked and remove.