Mutton Biryani is a very popular dish across India. With numerous regional variations, it is a dish often found in weddings or special occasions. This variation is made with coconut milk and is best served with onion raita.
Mutton – 500 gms, chopped
Basmati Rice – 500 gms
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup
Onions – 250 gms, finely sliced
Tomatoes – 200 gms, finely chopped
Juice of 1 Lemon
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tblsp
Green Chilli – 1
Cinnamon – 1 piece
Clove – 2 to 3
Cardamoms – 2 to 3
Bay Leaf – 1
Mint Leaves – 1/4 bunch
Coriander Leaves – 1/4 bunch
Coconut Milk – 1 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Wash and soak the rice for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Wash, clean and transfer the mutton to a pressure cooker.
3. Pour 1/3 cup of water.
4. Add red chilli powder, salt and 1 tsp fo ginger garlic paste.
5. Pressure cook until 1 or 2 whistles and switch off the flame. Reserve the water for later use.
6. Heat ghee and oil in a large pan over medium flame.
7. Add cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon and cardamoms.
8. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
9. Add the onions and green chillies.
10. Saute for 2 minutes or until onions turn golden.
11. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir well for a minute.
12. Add the cooked mutton pieces and stir well.
13. Add the tomatoes, mint leaves, coriander leaves, salt, red chilli powder and lemon juice.
14. Reduce flame to low and stir well.
15. Cook until it has a gravy consistency.
16. Add coconut milk and reserved water.
17. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
18. Meanwhile pressure cook the rice until 2 or 3 whistles and remove.
19. Add the rice to the mutton mixture and stir to mix.
20. Heat a tawa over medium flame.
21. Place the pan over the tawa and cover with a lid.
22. Cook for 5 minutes and remove.
23. Garnish with coriander leaves.
24. Serve with onion raita.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !