1/2 cup Chickpeas (Kabuli Channa)
2 black cardamoms
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
1/4 tsp clove powder
1 tbsp oil
1/3 cup sliced onions
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
3 green chillies, kept whole
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup diced and boiled potatoes
3 tbsp tamarind pulp
1 1/2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight.
2. Drain and rinse well in several changes of water to remove the toxins that form.
3. Cook chickpeas in fresh salted water until tender.
4. Add the cardamoms and the cinnamon, cumin, pepper and clove powders and remove from heat.
5. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions, turmeric and chilli powder.
6. Mix in the chickpeas, tomatoes and green chillies. Continue cooking, mashing the chickpeas a little.
7. Add the salt and potatoes and simmer for another minute.
8. Stir in the tamarind pulp and remove from the heat.
9. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.