Traditionally Adai is made with dal and rice. This variation uses plain rice flour and mixed with onions and green chillies. Serve with chutney and sambar of choice.
Raw Rice Flour – 500 gms
Onions – 4, medium or 2 large, chopped
Green Chillies – 5 to 6, adjust the quantity depending on size
Mustard Seeds – little
Bengal Gram Dal – little
Urad Dal – little
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal and bengal gram dal for 30 seconds.
3. Add the chopped onions, green chililes and saute for a minute or two.
4. Add enough water, salt, asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and cover the pan with a lid.
5. Simmer for a few minutes and bring to a boil.
6. Add the rice flour.
7. After a minute stir gently.
8. The batter should be coarse.
9. Remove the pan from flame and allow it to cool.
10. Once cooled, add a little water and mix well.
11. Make small balls and flatten them into adais.
12. Heat a tawa over medium flame.
13. Cook the prepared adais on both sides on a tawa.
14. Serve hot.