If something blends perfectly with the chicken it is the combination of pepper and garlic. Pepper Chicken Fry is a dry chicken recipe which is popular and hugely loved in the southern states of India like Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
The delicate taste of chicken goes perfectly with the strong and aromatic flavors of pepper, garlic, ginger and other spices used in this Pepper Chicken Fry recipe. You can either make it completely dry or a thick gravy masala by adding tomato, oil, and a little bit extra water. It can be eaten as a starter or as a side dish with rotis or rice.
Chicken is high in protein and contains lower amounts of saturated fat as compared with other types of meat. Therefore, it is a healthy option for non-vegetarian food lovers. Moreover, it is a rich source of zinc, phosphorus and other minerals which are essential for the overall well-being of our body.
Also, chicken is a natural anti-depressant and boosts our metabolism as well. All these good qualities along with the nutritional benefits of spices used in this recipe make it a healthy recipe for your kids and family.
Pepper Chicken is a perfect way to warm-up chilly winter nights and proves to be a popular food that can be cooked by the camp-side. Some people prefer to add tomatoes to this recipe while some refrain from adding them. However, you can also experiment with more herbs and spices to add your own eccentric flavor to this awesome recipe.
Pepper and other ingredients might give it a slightly darker shade of brown when fried but do not hesitate as the deep fried ones taste the best. You can have this mouthwatering delicacy with steamed rice, a bowl of soup or Tawa paratha for lunch or dinner.
Pepper Chicken Fry
Ingredients for Pepper Chicken Fry
- 400 gms Chicken skinless, boneless, cubed
- 10 to 15 Black Peppercorns crushed
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1/2 inch Ginger chopped
- 6 nos Garlic Cloves peeled, chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- as per taste Salt
How to make Pepper Chicken Fry
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a bowl.
- Add pepper powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and keep aside for 40 minutes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium flame.
- Saute the onions, ginger and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken and curry leaves.
- Cook until well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato and a pinch of salt.
- Stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook until all moisture has evaporated and the chicken mixture is dry.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve as a starter or as an appetizer.