A yummy and quick breakfast recipe that is popular in South India. This can also be served as an evening snack.
Poha (Aval) – 2 cups
Ginger – 2 tsp, peeled, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, slit
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Lemon Juice – 5 to 6 tsp
Oil – 4 to 5 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 to 2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – few
1. Wash the poha and soak in 1 cup of warm water for 45 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the mustard seeds, dal and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
4. Add green chillies and ginger.
5. Fry for 30 to 60 seconds.
6. Add asafoetida powder and salt.
7. Squeeze dry the poha and add to the pan.
8. Add lemon juice and mix well.
9. Cook for a minute or two and switch off the flame.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Tip: You can also add finely chopped carrots and capsicums if desired.
image via flickr/lakshmi thiyagarajan