sticky rice flour – 1 cup
water to mix
grated coconut – 1 ½ cup
palm sugar or jaggery powder or brown sugar – Â¾ cup
water – Â¼ cup
nutmeg – 1 pinch
thick coconut milk – 2 ½ cup
rice flour – Â¼ cup
arrow root flour – 2 tbsp
sugar – 1 tbsp
salt – 1 tsp
1. Make pliable dough and knead till smooth.
2. Dissolve sugar in water.
3. Add coconut and cook till the mixture binds together.
4. Cool and shape into small balls (1.5 cm).
5. Mix all the ingredients.
6. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Blanch some pieces (15 cm) and blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain.
8. Alternately, use pieces of aluminum foil.
9. Take lime size portions of dough and flatten to a sheet, 3 mm thick.
10. Place a ball of filling on it and fold the edges over the filling. Press to seal.
11. Take a piece of banana leaf or foil and spread a table spoon of topping on it.
12. Place the filled dumpling over it and cover with some more topping.
13. Fold the leaf or foil over it and make a neat parcel.
14. Use all the dough thus.
15. Steam the parcels for 8-10 minutes or till cooked.
16. Serve warm or cold, in the parcel.
Note: The sticky rice used in some of these recipes is known as white Puttu rice in south India and is available in super markets and provision stores.