Butter Murukku is probably one of the most popular Murukku varieties across India. It is a tasty and crunchy snack from Tamil Nadu. Often served as a snack, they are made during festive occasions, weddings or even as a simple everyday snack.
These are often sold in most sweets and snacks shop in small packets containing 2 to 3 murukkus, often broken into small pieces. Just like Kai Murukku, this is one of the popular snack options in South India.
Butter Murukku Recipe
Ingredients for Butter Murukku
- 4 cup Rice Flour
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 2 tblsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp White Sesame Seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- as required Oil for frying
- as per taste Salt
How to make Butter Murukku
- Dry roast the urad dal till light golden and grind to a fine powder.
- Combine the dal powder, rice flour, butter, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, salt and asafoetida powder.
- Mix well to a thick, pliable dough.
- Grease a murukku maker.
- Make balls of the dough and add to the murukku maker.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Press the murukku maker over the hot oil and fry till golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Store in an airtight container.
This recipe was first published on Oct 9, 2008 and has been updated on Nov 12, 2020.