Kanda Thippili (Long Pepper / Indian Long Pepper) – 10 sticks, cleaned
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup
Dry Red Chillies – 4
Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Toor Dal – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – little
Curry Leaves – little
Asafoetida Powder – little
Ghee as required
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
2. Add the thippili, peppercorns, cumin seeds, toor dal and ry red chillies.
3. Fry for 30 to 60 seconds.
4. Remove, cool and grind to a paste.
5. Add salt and turmeric powder to the tamarind extract.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Add the ground paste and boil again.
8. Remove When it starts to rise and keep aside.
9. Heat ghee in a pan.
10. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
11. Add to the rasam and mix well.
12. Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !