Kadai Paneer (or Kadhai Paneer or Karahi Paneer) is a very popular North Indian vegetarian side dish across India. Typically served alongside roti, naan, paratha or fried rice, this is made with paneer (cottage cheese), onion and capsicum cooked with a mixture of spices.
Paneer – 250 gms, chopped into squares or cubes
Capsicum – 2, chopped
Tomatoes – 2, chopped
Onion – 2, finely chopped
Saunf – 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
For the masala powder:
Dry Red Chillies – 5
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 2
Cinnamon – 2
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
1. Dry roast the masala powder ingredients and grind to a coarse powder.
2. Keep aside.
3. Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
4. Saute half of the onions, capsicums and paneer separately.
5. Add a little oil to the same pan.
6. Add saunf and fry for 30 seconds.
7. Add the remaining onions and saute well.
8. Add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, tomatoes and ground masala powder.
9. Add a little water and stir well.
10. Add the paneer, onions and capsicum.
11. Keep stirring till the oil starts to separate.
12. Remove and transfer to a serving dish.
13. Serve hot with naan or roti.