Fish fillets or steaks – 6, marinate with salt for 15 minutes
Onion – 1
Balchao paste – 2 tbsp
Oil as required for shallow frying
Salt as per taste
Dry kashmiri chillies – 20
Peppercorns – 5
Garlic – 10 cloves
Turmeric – 1/2 inch piece or 1/2 tsp ground
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
Cloves – 3
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Vinegar – a little
1. Make a thick paste of ground masala mix with vinegar.
2. Fry the onions in hot oil until brown, add the masala paste and fry for about 5 minutes over a low heat.
3. Now add the balchao paste and cook further till tender.
4. Lightly fry the fish in a separate pan and add the entire fried masala into it with a little water if required and cook until the fish is done.
5. Serve with plain boiled rice