Rice flour – 2 cups
Chana dal – 1/4 cup
Moong dal – 1/4 cup
Butter – 1 tbsp
Sesame Seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil as required
1. Dry roast the dals and grind together to a fine powder.
2. Mix 1 cup of the dal powder with the rice flour.
3. Add butter, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, red chilli powder and asafoetida powder.
4. Add enough water and knead well to a smooth dough.
5. Make balls of this dough and add them to a murukku maker with spiky (mullu) plate.
6. Press them into a white cloth, ensuring they are equally spaced.
7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
8. Fry the prepared murukkus till light golden brown.
9. Remove and drain excess oil.
10. Store in an airtight container.