Rice flour – 2 cups
Chana dal – 1/4 cup
Moong dal – 1/4 cup
Butter – 1 tbsp
Sesame Seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil as required
1. Dry roast the dals and grind together to a fine powder.
2. Mix 1 cup of the dal powder with the rice flour.
3. Add butter, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, red chilli powder and asafoetida powder.
4. Add enough water and knead well to a smooth dough.
5. Make balls of this dough and add them to a murukku maker with spiky (mullu) plate.
6. Press them into a white cloth, ensuring they are equally spaced.
7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
8. Fry the prepared murukkus till light golden brown.
9. Remove and drain excess oil.
10. Store in an airtight container.
11. Serve. Mullu Murukku,