Tamarind Extract – 5 to 6 cups
Vathal (Manathakkali or Sundakkai) – 2 tblsp
Garlic – 20 cloves
Sambar Powder – 2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Gingelly Oil – 4 tblsp
Curry Leaves – few, chopped
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the mustard seeds till it splutters.
3. Add fenugreek seeds and reduce flame to low.
4. Fry till light golden brown.
5. Add garlic cloves and vathal.
6. Fry for a minute or two.
7. Now add the curry leaves, tamarind extract, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
8. Mix well and cover the pan with a lid.
9. Bring to a boil over medium flame.
10. Cook till the oil starts to float on top and kuzhambu is thick.
11. Serve hot with rice. Vathal Kuzhambu,