Seer Fish – 500 gms, dried, (or any other fish), cut into small pieces
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tblsp
Curry Leaves – handful
Red Chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tblsp
White Vinegar – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Powder – 1/2 tblsp
Cumin Powder – 2 tblsp
Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
Garlic Paste – 4 to 5 tblsp
Green Chilli Paste – 3 to 4 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tblsp, powdered + some for seasoning
Sesame Oil – 1 cup + 4 tblsp
1. Wash the fish pieces 3 to 4 times and drain excess water.
2. Add turmeric powder and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Mix together the ginger, garlic and green chilli pastes.
4. Heat 4 tblsp oil in a pan.
5. Add the fish and deep fry for a minute or two.
6. Remove and keep aside.
7. In a separate pan, heat 1 cup of oil and fry the mustard seeds till it starts to splutter.
8. Add the ginger-garlic-green chilli paste and fry till the oil floats to the top.
9. Add the curry leaves, red chilli powder and stir-fry for 30 to 60 seconds.
10. Add the fried fish, vinegar and salt.
11. Add the mustard seeds, cumin powder and fenugreek powder.
12. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
13. Transfer the pickle to a clean, sterilized jar and cover with a lid.
14. Keep aside for 30 to 40 days before using.
15. Do not refrigerate once opened.
image credit: saltandspice.org
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.