White Fish Fillets – 250 gms
Lotus Stems – 250 gms, washed, cut into bite sized pieces
Ver Paste – 1/2 tblsp
Oil – 1/2 cup
Garlic Paste – 1/2 tblsp
Water – 4 cups
Red Chilli Paste – 1 tsp
Cloves – 3
Black Cardamom – 3
Green Cardamom – 3
Ginger Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 two inch sticks
Fried Onion Paste – 3/4 tblsp
Black Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Dry Cockscomb Flowers (Mawal) Extract – 1/8 cup, heated with 1/2 cup water
Salt as per taste
1. Heat little oil in a pan.
2. Add the fish fillets and fry till reddish brown.
3. Remove and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
5. Fry the lotus stems and garlic paste till brown spots appear on the stems.
6. Add the ver paste and red chilli paste.
7. Stir well till oil floats to the surface.
8. Reduce flame to low and pour the water.
9. Add cloves, cardamoms, ginger powder, turmeric powder, cinnamon, onion paste and salt.
10. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until lotus stems are tender.
11. Now add the fried fish and cockscomb extract.
12. Bring to a boil again and stir well.
13. Sprinkle cumin seeds and cook till the mixture has a soup-like consistency.
14. Remove and serve hot.
Note: Image is only for illustration purpose and not that of the actual recipe.