Onions – 5 to 6, medium or large, peeled sliced into thin rounds, separated into individual rings
Maida – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 2 tblsp
Corn Flour – 1/2 cup
Gram Flour (Kadalai Maavu / Besan) – 1/2 cup
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger – 2 tsp, peeled
Garlic – 2 cloves
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Sprinkle salt on the onions and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Add them to a bowl of ice water and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Combine green chillies, garlic and ginger. Grind them to a smooth paste.
4. Mix the maida, rice flour, corn flour and gram flour.
5. Add enough water and salt to make a thick batter. Ensure the batter is not too thick.
6. Keep the batter aside.
7. Drain excess water from the onion rings and pat dry.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
9. Dip the onion rings in the batter and fry till light brown.
10. Remove and drain excess oil.
11. Serve hot with ketchup or mint chutney.