Kaleji Masala also known Mutton liver curry is a true delicacy and treat to your taste buds. This spicy semi-dry dish made from fresh spices and tender goat liver pieces can be the center of attraction on your dining table especially if your guests adore non-vegetarian food.
This sizzling recipe can either be eaten as an appetizer with lime juice or any other welcome drink or you can include it in the main course by having it with rotis or rice.
It is a frequently relished dish in most of the Muslim households in India as their ancestors have passed on this recipe since many generations. Hence, you will find it on their dining table on festivals like Bakra Eid and Ramzan.
Moreover, it is damn easy to make and can be cooked in a matter of 30 minutes or so. All you need is chopped goat liver pieces, traditional Indian spices, and a cooking pan to prepare this delectable and tempting dish.
Goat liver is also termed as ‘Superfood’ since it enriches your body with protein, minerals, and vitamins. Also, it is low in calories which make it a good choice for the health conscious individuals.
The liver is so nutritious that it exceeds almost all the fruits and vegetables when it comes to its mineral and vitamin-content. Moreover, you can easily find it in butcher shops and meat houses across the country. All these aspects make Kaleji Masala a must learn recipe for every homemaker.
Kaleji Masala is a unique combination of earthy flavors of the liver and spicy flavor of the other ingredients. Also, none of the meat pieces taste like Kaleji and therefore you can offer a unique and flavorful dish to your guests which they might have never tasted before!
Kaleji Masala (Spicy Mutton Liver Curry)
Ingredients for Kaleji Masala (Spicy Mutton Liver Curry)
- 250 gms Mutton Liver chopped
- 1 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1 no Tomato – 1 finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 to 3 nos Green Chillies
- 4 to 5 nos Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 50 ml Malt Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- Salt as per taste
How to make Kaleji Masala (Spicy Mutton Liver Curry)
- Heat a pan over moderate flame.
- Add some water to the pan.
- Put the liver in along with ginger garlic paste and cinnamon stick.
- Boil for 6 to 9 minutes.
- Remove liver pieces, wash and keep aside.
- Reserve the stock.
- In a small bowl, mix the green chillies, peppercorns, cumin, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Apply this on the liver pieces and keep aside to marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Saute the onions till golden brown.
- Add salt, marinated liver pieces with the marinade.
- Pour the reserved stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes and cook all water has dried up.
- Remove and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.
Image credit: youtube