Red gram dal – 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Small piece of tamarind – 1
A small piece of jaggery
Ghee -1 tsp
Mustard -1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste.
To Grind :
Red chillies – 2-3
Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
A pinch of Asofoetida
Grated copra or coconut – 2 tbsp
NOTE : Fry in 1 tsp ghee to a dark brown and grind to paste.
1. Boil dal with turmeric powder. When done, mash the dal thoroughly adding somw water, if necessary.
2. Boil tamarind in 1 cup water, take out rxtract. Add salt, curry leaves and some more water( about a cup) and boil till the tamarind water is reduced to about half the quantity.
3. Mix ground paste with some water, add to the boiling tamarind water and continue to boil for another 5-7 minutes more.
4. Now add mashed dal and jaggery, continue to boil. When it is about to boil over, remove from fire.
5. Season the mustard and curry leaves in 1 tsp ghee, Add to rasam along with chopped coriander leaves.
6. Serve hot with rice.