Lobia or black-eyed peas are a staple food in the south, especially during the winter months. The peas are often added to dishes that have a lot of flavor, like black-eyed pea curry.
Black-eyed peas is an important vegetable for both Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines. This legume is used in traditional dishes like dal, kootu, and curry.
The black-eyed peas are cooked with tomatoes, onions, garlic and ginger paste which gives the dish a tangy taste. There is also a good amount of spice in this dish which makes it overall super comforting and delicious to eat.
Serve with ghee rice, jeera rice or roti.
Lobia (Black-Eyed Peas Curry) Recipe
Ingredients for Lobia (Black-Eyed Peas Curry)
- 250 g Dried Lobia (Black-Eyed Peas)
- 1 to 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3 tblsp Oil
- as per taste Salt
- as required Water
How to make Lobia (Black-Eyed Peas Curry)
- Soak the lobia overnight or for a minimum of 8 to 12 hours.
- Pressure cook until 2 whistles or until soft.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, onions and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder and salt.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked lobia with the liquid.
- If required, add 1/2 cup of additional water and simmer over medium flame.
- Cook until the gravy is thickened, stirring for time to time.
- Serve with jeera rice, ghee rice or as a side dish to roti.