Bitter Gourd – 1/2 kg
Tomatoes – 3
Onion – 1, big
Sour Curd – 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Coconut – 1/4 cup, scraped
Sugar – 2 tsp
Oil – 2 tblsp
Salt as per taste
1. Cut onions, mince ginger, chop tomatoes.
2. Cut bitter gourd into small round pieces.
3. Apply salt to the pieces and keep for 30 minutes.
4. Grind coconut alone separately.
5. Heat oil in a pan.
6. Tamper mustard seeds and broken red chillies, then add onions and fry till transparent.
7. Add ginger and chopped tomatoes.
8. Continue to fry till it turns pulpy.
9. Drain water from the bitter gourd and fry, while stirring constantly, for a few minutes.
10. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and beaten curds.
11. When the gourd changes its colour add sugar, salt and enough water to cover the pieces.
12. Close with a lid.
13. Reduce flame and cook till the gourd becomes soft.
14. When the gravy is thick add the ground coconut mixture.
15. Boil for a minute and remove from fire.
16. Garnish with curry leaves.
17. Serve hot.