A popular rice dish often served for lunch or dinner with a gravy by the side.
Basmati Rice – 1 3/4 cups
Paneer – 100 gms
Salt to Taste
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cornflour – 2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp plus some more for frying
Cinnamon Powder – 2 tsp
Green Cardamoms – 2
Cloves – 4
Bayleaves – 4
Onions – 3 tbsp, sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste – 3 tbsp
Vegetable Stock (or Water) – 3 3/4 cups
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Butter – 1/2 cup
Lemon – 1/2
Milk – 4 tbsp
1. Soak the rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain and keep aside.
3. Mash the paneer.
4. Add salt, red chilli powder and cornflour.
5. Mix well and make small balls of the mixture.
6. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the paneer balls to a light golden brown colour.
7. Remove and keep aside.
8. Heat oil in a pan.
9. Add the whole spices and saute till they crackle.
10. Add sliced onions and stir fry to a golden brown colour.
11. Add ginger garlic paste dissolved in water.
12. Stir vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
13. Add salt, butter and juice of half a lemon.
14. Add the rice and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
15. When the water is reduced to the level of the rice, sprinkle milk on top.
16. Cover with a damp cloth and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
17. Remove from heat.
18. Garnish with fried paneer balls.
19. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !