Tuvar Dal or Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
French Beans – 2 cups, topped and tailed, diced
Fresh Ginger – 1 tblsp, minced
Green Chillies – 2, chopped
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tblsp
Curry Leaves – 3
Black Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
1. Wash the dal and drain.
2. Cook the dal with 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and 3 cups of water till creamy.
3. Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
4. Put the oil in a pan over medium heat.
5. When the oil is hot add the curry leaves, black mustard seeds and urad dal.
6. Fry over medium heat, till mustard seeds splutter and urad dal is golden, for about 30 seconds.
7. Add the beans, ginger and green chillies.
8. Stir well and add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.
9. Blend in the cumin powder and salt.
10. Add the cooked dal with enough water to cover the beans.
11. Cook covered over medium heat till beans are tender for about 10 minutes.
12. Serve hot with cooked rice.