Milk – 300 ml
Soft Dark Brown Sugar – 75 gms
Plain Chocolate – 75 gms, broken into pieces
Eggs – 2, beaten
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Double Cream – 300 ml
Chocolate Chips – 75 gms
Mini Chocolate Cookies – to serve (optional)
1. Put the milk, sugar and chocolate into a saucepan.
2. Heat gently until the chocolate has melted and the sugar dissolved.
3. Pour the warm mixture on to the beaten eggs, stirring constantly.
4. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens very slightly.
5. Strain the mixture into a bowl and add the vanilla essence.
6. Leave to cool.
7. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, then whisk it into the cooked custard.
8. Stir in the chocolate chips.
9. Turn the mixture into a freezer container, cover and freeze until firm.
10. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator to soften.
11. Scoop the ice cream into individual bowls and sprinkle the mini chocolate cookies on top.