Duck – 1 kg
Coriander Powder – 2 tblsp
Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Aniseed – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 2 inch piece
Cloves – 9
Cardamom Pods – 2
Garlic – 8 cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Vinegar – 1 tblsp
Salt to taste
Hot Water – 2 cups
Potatoes – 3, parboiled and quartered lengthwise
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Refined Vegetable Oil – 1/4 cup
Onion – 1/2 cup, sliced, soaked in salt water and squeezed dry
Thick Coconut Milk – 1 cup
1. Wash and clean the duck.
2. Cut into large pieces.
3. Grind coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, peppercorns, aniseed, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and garlic into a fine paste.
4. Add vinegar and salt.
5. Apply this paste on the duck pieces.
6. Add 2 cups of hot water and cook the duck, covering the pan with a tigh-fitting lid.
7. When the duck is cooked, separate the pieces from the gravy.
8. Fry the potatoes in ghee and oil. Drain and keep aside.
9. In the same pan, fry onion and keep aside.
10. Fry the cooked pieces of duck in the remaining oil, adding more if necessary. Drain and keep aside.
11. Drain the oil from the pan.
12. Pour the masala gravy into the same pan and add the fried onion.
13. When this boils, add the fried pieces of duck and cook until all the gravy has been absorbed.
14. Add the coconut milk.
15. Remove from fire and serve the roast with the potatoes around it.