Banana Flower – 1 medium
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Butter Milk – 1 tblsp
Sugar – a pinch
For the seasoning:
Oil – 3 to 4 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Red Chilli – 1, broken into two (optional)
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Grind to a rough paste:
Tuvar Dal – 1 cup
Red Chillies – 2
Green Chillies – 2
Asafoetida – small piece
Salt to taste
1. Remove 2-3 layers of the banana flower, break the flowers from the stem and remove the hard pistil.
2. Chop the flowers, sprinkle butter milk and set aside.
3. Add enough water, turmeric powder and salt, cook, sprinkling butter milk till flowers are tender.
4. Heat oil, add seasonings and when dal is golden brown, add curry leaves and the ground paste.
5. Stir fry this for a while till dry.
6. Add cooked flowers, continue to fry till blended, remove from fire.
7. Serve hot as a side dish with rice.