Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usili is a traditional South Indian side dish made with banana flower, toor dal and spiced with some red and green chillies.
Commonly used in the Tamil Brahmin households, vazhaipoo (banana flower) has numerous medicinal properties that makes it very healthy.
Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usili Recipe
Ingredients for Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usili
- 1 Medium sized Banana Flower
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 tsp Butter Milk
- a pinch Sugar
For the seasoning:
- 3 to 4 tblsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilli broken into two (optional)
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
Grind to a rough paste:
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 2 Red Chillies
- 2 Green Chillies
- a small piece Asafoetida
- as per taste Salt
How to make Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usili
- Remove 2-3 layers of the banana flower, break the flowers from the stem and remove the hard pistil.
- Chop the flowers, sprinkle butter milk and set aside.
- Add enough water, turmeric powder and salt, cook, sprinkling butter milk till flowers are tender.
- Heat oil, add seasonings and when dal is golden brown, add curry leaves and the ground paste.
- Stir fry this for a while till dry.
- Add cooked flowers, continue to fry till blended, remove from fire.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rice.