Meat of Young Lamb – 3/4 kg, cut into large 1 1/2 inch square pieces
Milk of 1/4 fresh grated Coconut – 1/3 cup
Onions – 1 1/2 large, finely sliced
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Red Chillies – 2 dried
Cardamom – 1, peeled
Potatoes – 1/2 kg, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
Milk – 1 1/4 cups
Salt – 3 tsp
Vegetable Oil – 3 tblsp
Grind to a paste:
Garlic – 3 cloves
Fresh Ginger Root – 1/2 inch
Cashew Nuts – 2 tblsp
1. In a pan, heat oil and fry onion in it till golden. Remove excess oil.
2. Add garlic-ginger paste and cook for 5 minutes, adding a little water if paste sticks to the bottom of pan.
3. Add pieces of meat, cinnamon stick, whole red chillies and cardamom and cook till meat is nicely browned (for about 15 minutes)
4. Add 2 cups of warm water, potatoes and salt and cook, covered, on low heat till meat is half cooked and water almost evaporated.
5. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool a while.
6. Remove potatoes from pan and keep aside.
7. To the meat, add coconut milk and fresh milk and return to heat.
8. Cook, covered, till meat is tender.
9. In a frying pan, pour oil.
10. Heat, then fry potatoes in it till golden and crisp.
11. Return potatoes to meat, heat all together and serve in a large platter.