Bitter Gourds – 675 gms
Oil – 1 tblsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Spring Onions – 6, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 5, finely chopped
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Fresh Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ground Coriander – 1 tsp
Ground Cumin – 1 tsp
Soft Dark Brown Sugar – 3 tblsp
Gram Flour – 1 tblsp
Fresh Coriander Sprigs – to garnish
Salt to taste
1. Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Peel the bitter gourds and halve them.
2. Discard the seeds. Cut into 3/4 inch pieces, then cook in the boiling water for about 10-15 minutes or until just tender. Drain well.
3. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan and fry the cumin seeds for 2 minutes until they begin to splutter.
4. Add the spring onions and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, ginger, garlic and chillies and cook the mixture stirring occasionally for a further 5 minutes.
5. Add 1/2 tsp salt, the remaining spices and sugar to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the bitter gourds to the pan and mix well.
6. Sprinkle over the gram flour. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 5-8 minutes or until all the gram flour has been absorbed into the sauce.
7. Stir well, then serve garnished with fresh coriander sprigs.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !